Friday, May 14, 2010

WHAT? No Pastizzi Yet??

Well, the plan was to make Pastizzi as my recipe of the week.. Suffice to say that plan didn't work out. I wanted to, and I still want to, but it's been put on hold for now. Instead, I made Zucchini Alfredo and Wheat French Baguettes. Super delicious! I love to bake, I realized, although I am impatient to wait for the dough to rise. Sad days. Altogether, this dinner cost about $20. I was pretty impressed.

The zucchini alfredo was a little bland for my liking. The cream sauce was made using milk and cream cheese, which is a variation I've never used before. Thickened up very quickly, and adding Parmesan on top of the dish really gave it a bite that made the whole plate more enjoyable, but it was still pretty boring. Next time I'll use powdered garlic as it is more potent in a sauce than fresh minced garlic can be sometimes. I didn't cook the zucchini long enough, so they were a  little crisp, as were the onions I added, but I think I liked it that way. I'm not a fan of soggy veggies, really. Not in pasta. Plus, making things soggy cooks all the nutrients out anyway, so it's better to have them a little crisp.

The baguettes were a hit with the roommate! The recipe was simple and easy. Although, I didn't have any white flour or sugar, so I had to substitute wheat flour and splenda. Still super delicious! Light, fluffy, and amazing. Although, I messed up this recipe, too. I didn't pay close enough attention to the directions, and put the egg yolk in the batter instead of using it as a glaze to make the crust crunchy. My bad! Definitely didn't compromise the bread, though, because it still turned out great. Just not as crispy as it should have been, but I like my bread soft inside and out. :)


The other night my sister, Tabitha, came over spontaneously, and I had to make her something to eat. It's just how I am, someone comes over, I have to make them dinner. Kind of strange, but I love doing it! So I asked what she wanted, and she said she wasn't really that hungry. So I asked my roommate, Chris, and he said that Enchilada's sounded pretty good. SO! Off to the store we went, grabbing all the ingredients and a few other items we needed. Altogether spending about $35 on the food.

We got home and made the Chicken Enchiladas. Tabitha and I decided early on to substitute the cole slaw dressing they suggest you use for the filling for sour cream. I'm pretty sure a cole slaw dressing would have made it sweet, and I've never heard of a sweet enchilada. Ever. Turned out the sub was a really good idea! We took a bite, and we all about died of food joy. They were that good!
It's a pretty easy recipe, although if you're a beginner, the directions don't tell you when to preheat the oven or when to cook the chicken if you bought it raw. Cook the chicken first, and preheat second. Then follow the rest of the directions, otherwise you'll end up waiting for everything and will have wasted at least 10 minutes of your time.
DELICIOUS recipe, I suggest you try it out. But, definitely use sour cream instead of cole slaw dressing... It just sounds like an inter-racial joke waiting to happen.. Cole slaw is Dutch or something isn't it? Doesn't bode well with Mexican cuisine..

Don't forget to suggest some recipes for me to make! I don't care if you don't cook, if you ate something and liked it, and want to see me try it, let me know! So far we have Pastizzi, and a friend suggested Miso Soup. I'm also not opposed to friends suggesting dishes for me to make that want to come over specifically for that meal. Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment